In September of 2009, Tim was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells in the blood. Our prayer is that we will display God's sufficient grace throughout our test of faith. We have come to a deeper understanding of II Corinthians 12:9a which says, "...My grace is sufficient for thee; for My strength is made perfect in weakness..."

Saturday, June 26, 2010

In Everything Give Thanks

This has been a very difficult week for us on several levels. I had a day this week when I was very overwhelmed at everything going on and just felt like I was going to snap. Tim was having a terrible day and Mark was a very sick little boy. I had been up much of the night checking on both of them. I was very tired - I actually had a mini pity party and then had a melt down on the phone with my Mom. I was coming unglued and just needed something to help me pull myself together.

That afternoon, I received an e-mail with a devotional in it. The devotional talked about how Daniel prayed with thanksgiving as he entered the lion's den. It spoke of Jonah's prayer in the belly of the whale right before he was thrown up onto dry land. His prayer was full of thanksgiving. Philippians 4:6 tells us to pray with thanksgiving when we are anxious. The result of praying with thanksgiving is PEACE. Daniel had peace and survived the lion's den, Jonah received peace and went on to preach to the city of Ninevah....Philippians 4 tells us that after we pray with thanksgiving "the peace of God which passeth all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

So, after being reminded of these truths, I began to thank for God all He has done for us so far in this journey. I thanked Him for family and friends who have been there to support us and encourage us. I thanked Him that I have a family to care for. I thanked Him for my husband and how strong he has been through all of this. I also thanked Him for Who He is and for His faithfulness to us. It was only as I began to praise the Lord that I began to sense a calmness return to my spirit and my mind became restful. I didn't feel on the edge of the cliff anymore and I was able to go on and handle the rest of the trials of the day. Thanksgiving truly is the key to peace.

Later on, Mark threw up all over me, himself and our living room and I handled it with grace and dignity! Thank you, Lord, for your peace! :)
-Stacie

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stay on Thee..." Isaiah 26:3

3 comments:

  1. What a testimony Stacie; the Lord has already used what He's teaching you to uplift and challenge us! GREAT will be your reward. Isaiah 26:3 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. Our prayers are with your family every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a very wise man once said to me: "Cheer up! Things could be worse!" So I followed his advice. I cheered up, and sure enough, things got worse! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your family from afar. Thanks for being real and letting so many walk though this journey with you to God's glory. This trial may be Pastor Zac's greatest sermon! Phil 4:13.
    - Bryan Lees (Joan Allinson's son)

    ReplyDelete